R.I.P. Teh Forum, 2007 - 2009
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. Teh Forum, 2007 - 2009

Good night, sweet prince, and may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  PortailPortail  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  RulesRules  

Jelly Roll Release Debut Album

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gear Me Up
hey dude what're you doing in my break room
Gear Me Up

Male
Number of posts : 2254
Job/Hobbies : rollerblades
Humour : funny
Svartikins : and
Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-09-08

Me!
Class: Elvis Impersonator
Weapon: Harpoon
Mount: broom broom car

Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Empty
PostSubject: Jelly Roll Release Debut Album   Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Dynjgx

All songs written by Jelly Roll, except where noted.

"Animate Trees, Take The Highway" - 7:57
"Fishin' (In The Bermuda Triangle)" - 9:20
"Keep On Truckin'" - 11:32
"Smother It On My Bread" (Lehman, Lewis) - 8:41
"Fire Escape Blues" (Lewis, Lukather) - 17:13
"Aspirations of De-Flowering Her Rose" - 8:09
"D'Aubigne's Machine [All Night Long]" - 21:11
"Drinkin' Petroleum Distillate"
I. "Drinkin' (Lehman)" - 30:34
II. "Stomach Pain" (Lehman, Phillips) - 15:57
III. "Vomitin'" - 9:18

"My Experience in the ER" (Lehman, Lewis, Lord) - 10:20
"Hovercraft Engineering Rock" - 7:28
"Champion Stick" (containing “Drinkin’ (Reprise)”) - 15:10
"Meatloafrica" (Lord) - 1:11
Back to top Go down
Gear Me Up
hey dude what're you doing in my break room
Gear Me Up

Male
Number of posts : 2254
Job/Hobbies : rollerblades
Humour : funny
Svartikins : and
Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-09-08

Me!
Class: Elvis Impersonator
Weapon: Harpoon
Mount: broom broom car

Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jelly Roll Release Debut Album   Jelly Roll Release Debut Album Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 6:02 am

track comments from eifion:

Animate Trees, Take The Highway: "This was a great way to start the album. Me, Luke, and Jon let our Marshall stacks feed back and Simon keeps a killer funk groove going. Brandon plays a funk bass line that I lifted from "Come Over Here" by James Brown, only in 11/8 time. After repeating it for about four minutes, we play some heavy power chords, before settling back into the bass line, only doubled by Luke and I, while Jon plays some great melodic lines over it. Brandon sings about wanting Al Gore or something. Luke plays a wah solo as it fades out. If you listen carefully at around the 7:30 mark, you can hear me trip over some cables, break all my strings and knock my Marshall stacks over. but like i said you need to listen carefully"

Keep On Truckin': "This one starts with Jon playing a great heavy blues riff on his own, but we all forgot how to play the riff when we were supposed to join in, so we went off on an eleven-minute Country jam. Brandon plays a nice slide solo, and I turn my fuzz box all the way up for my talk box solo, which makes a really cool sound. Listen carefully to what I'm saying in the talk box solo: "Mothertrucker, trucking truck you mothertrucker, I want to trucking kill you, do you feel like we do now". I also got to use the chord Fm6sus2, which I don't think has been used in a Rock song before, so that's cool!"

Fire Escape Blues: "Me and Luke recorded this in my house in North Wales at 2AM, after watching Eli Stone or something. It's a twelve bar blues, but there's a variation at the sixth bar(VI instead of IV). I play the same rhythm and turnaround for the whole jam, while Luke solos. At one point he really needed a pee, which you can hear him say at around 6:00 if you listen carefully. He rushes off to have a pee while I keep the rhythm going. Then at 13:00, Jon knocks at my door, and I go to let him in while keeping the rhythm going, so the guitar getting quieter as it moves away creates the illusion of a fadeout. We sit back down and carry on until Jon unplugs us and shouts at me and hurts my feelings for not offering him a cold beverage, but you can't hear that, because the track fades out, so we might include it as an extra for Japan or Holland."

D'Aubigne's Machine (All Night Long): "The first nine minutes are Jon playing Bach's "Prelude and Fugue For Organ in F Minor". It's a nice tune, great beat. Anyway, I come in with a heavy rock riff with squeali-os, while Luke plays some blues licks over it. Brandon's singing on this one is very soul-influenced. I'm not really sure what the verses are about: "D'Aubigne was a very bad man, he made this machine and it killed orphans which isn't THAT good". We overdubbed some gang vocals for the chorus: "All night long, D'Aubigne kills orphans all night long, all night long, make love to me instead of D'Aubigne or else". The last five minutes are Jon, Brandon, Luke and I trading licks. We cut out at random moments for some cool drum fills from Simon. What's also cool is that Jon ran his organ through a fuzz box, and two whammy pedals, set an octave higher and two octaves higher, respectively. You can hear The Simpsons on the TV through the whole song, because we forgot to turn it off."

My Experience in the ER: "This is a reggae tune, which Brandon plays ukulele on. Because I refused to turn the overdrive off my Marshalls, Luke plays all the rhythm guitar while I play the solo, only I got nervous when it was solo time and forgot what key it was in, so I end up playing a solo in B minor over a song that's in C minor. Anyone else would re-record the solo, but we're so awesome we left the B minor solo in, because the atmosphere was there even if it is a horrible cacophony of semitone clashes and noise. The song itself is about Jon's experience in the ER, when one day he got lost in L.A. or something and ended up in the ER. He didn't think all the blood was THAT cool, and so the incident now haunts him. Luke and Simon were sat in a corner reminiscing about their Runtime Error days while the rest of us wrote it."

Champion Stick: "We wrote this swinging Rockabilly tune, Brandon and I, back in 1979, but Jakey was all busy eating a bread stick, and Kevin attempted suicide upon hearing it. When we played it for the rest of the Jelly Roll guys, they bled out of their noses and ears, but after a while they were fine, and helped us re-write a few sections. It turned out pretty well, so we decided to include it on the album, along with a one minute, slower reprise of Drinkin'. As far as I know, this is the only Rockabilly tune to contain three minutes of Satanic chants in Latin."
Back to top Go down

Jelly Roll Release Debut Album
Page 1 of 1