R.I.P. Teh Forum, 2007 - 2009
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. Teh Forum, 2007 - 2009

Good night, sweet prince, and may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  PortailPortail  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  RulesRules  

Gig in the Sky

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ah, a Jinz
oh hey eric clapton whatre you doing 1100 feet in the air
Ah, a Jinz

Male
Number of posts : 2045
Svartikins : the
Gig in the Sky Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Gig in the Sky Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2007-09-11

Me!
Class: Sweet Wizard with A Long Beard.
Weapon: Groovy Magic
Mount: A Tiny Storm Cloud

Gig in the Sky Empty
PostSubject: Gig in the Sky   Gig in the Sky Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Gig in the Sky GreatShred

When Brandon Lehman, bassist for Jelly Roll, heard the news of "Metal Legend" Tony Manotas' passing this December (cause undetermined; possibly heroin overdose or heart attack from high intake fried chicken), he famously stated "It's like metal died today."

However, he felt that this didn't do justice to the good memories he had of Tony, so Lehman recorded this album, consisting of 3 songs, and 3 monologue tracks.

The first song, and album track "The Great Shred in the Sky," is Lehman's tribute to Manotas, in which he starts out with mellow piano chords, followed by tear inducing lyrics about a boy who dropped out of high school, joined a community college band, and made it big. When the lyrics end about the boy, the tempo picks up slightly, followed by samplings of the soaring vocals on the original Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd, separated by Lehman's own vocal echos with the lyrics "It's time for you to fly." When it settles down, Lehman takes over singing his own rendition of the soaring vocals, and flawlessly hitting the high notes. Then, abruptly, the tempo picks up with a Free Bird style jam for six straight minutes, still with various "It's time for you to fly." At the end of the jam, the soaring vocal samplings start back in, and a chorus of women sing gospel style while a wicked guitar solo wails on, fading out.

The three monologue tracks are Lehman commentary about the three people he misses most, and the three people these songs are dedicated to: Manotas, Mitch Mitchell, and Brad Delp.
Back to top Go down

Gig in the Sky
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
R.I.P. Teh Forum, 2007 - 2009 :: Music. :: General Music Discussion.-
Jump to: